Book Update:

I am currently writing Tri Me: A Working Mom's Road from Last Picked in Gym Class to Iron Distance Triathlon Finisher.
The book proposal is complete, and several chapters are finished!
For some of the thoughts, dialogue and anecdotes that will be included in the book, read my blog below.


Friday, July 02, 2010

Another terrific day, weather-wise.
I was worried before the swim, because most people had wetsuits this morning, and I didn't bring mine. I asked if they brought along a novel they could read while they were waiting for me. (Wetsuits make people swim much faster.)
It turned out there was one other "slow" person going with no wetsuit, and I was able to beat one of the slow wetsuit people, too. I wasn't pushing hard today. Just focusing on hand entry and body roll and allowing my thoughts to wander a little. I'm supposed to be working on mental focus, but it's a recovery week, so I let my focus go a bit.

It was almost half women today, which was nice. But they are all faster than me. :-)
The talk of the day was a bike crash the night before. A group of several of the younger guys who live in UA/Grandview/Hilliard did an evening ride. The ride leader made a sharp right turn without warning, and the guys behind him weren't able to navigate the turn without getting tangled up. One of the injured was a guy who is doing Ironman Lake Placid in three weeks - the only other person training this year for a full Ironman in our group besides me. It sounds like he will still be OK to race. The group that crashed placed a phone call to "Doc," our eldest training buddy. He is an actual M.D., so he went out to rescue the group, collect the bikes in his truck and give everyone a ride home. He also put a stitch in the arm of the guy who is training for Lake Placid. He sounds like someone whose phone number I should add to my address book! Garrity won't be able to swim until it heals. It's a good reminder about risk assessment in this sport, and the kind of skill it takes to do group riding.

I enjoy group riding, but it scares me a little. I'm starting to get more comfortable with it, but this is a good reminder for me not to let my guard down.

Took a couple pics of the quarry this morning with my phone - I'll post them later.

We ran after the swim - a group of four. We did four and a half miles in Grandview, including a few hills. On the steepest hill, we ran to the top, then jogged back to the bottom and did it again. The run felt pretty great. No knee discomfort. My breathing was manageable. I think the harder bike riding is starting to show up in my run pace. I seem to be able to hold a faster pace more comfortably, probably because of the fitness I'm gaining on the bike.

These guys will either kill me or make me stronger, I guess!

No comments: