Book Update:

I am currently writing Tri Me: A Working Mom's Road from Last Picked in Gym Class to Iron Distance Triathlon Finisher.
The book proposal is complete, and several chapters are finished!
For some of the thoughts, dialogue and anecdotes that will be included in the book, read my blog below.


Thursday, July 22, 2010

Making group training work, with different goals


I'm starting to get into the time when my workouts are longer than everyone else's. I still like the camaraderie, the inspiration to get up in the morning, the challenge of keeping up. But this week, my scheduled swims and bikes are all longer than the group is willing to go.

For swimming, my solution is to get in at 6 a.m. with the 6 a.m. crowd. We are usually finished around 6:50 a.m. If I can convince one person to do another short leg of swimming with me, I can get us to 7 a.m., when some swimmers from another group usually get in, and I can do another half-hour with them.

For the bike, my scheduled weekday workout is 90 minutes. The group usually rides 82 minutes for the Three Creeks ride. No big deal, but that's 16 minutes short over the course of Tuesday + Thursday. So today after we came back from the ride, I did an extra 20 minutes. Then I ran 15 minutes that wasn't on my schedule, just because I felt like it.

The race company has been updating their plans and maps on the website. It looks like they moved the Transition Area from the parking lot by the hotels, on the north end of the Cedar Point peninsula, to the big parking lot at the south end. Sigh. It's OK, but I was so excited because I reserved a spot in Camper Village, which was RIGHT NEXT TO the Transition Area. Now it isn't. That's OK. It will make it a little more challenging for David and the kids, though.

I feel great today. I feel like just stopping in my office and doing pushups for fun.

No comments: