Book Update:

I am currently writing Tri Me: A Working Mom's Road from Last Picked in Gym Class to Iron Distance Triathlon Finisher.
The book proposal is complete, and several chapters are finished!
For some of the thoughts, dialogue and anecdotes that will be included in the book, read my blog below.


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Q & A


The following questions were posted on a triathlon website by someone seeking to learn how their life will change when they start training for a full iron distance race. These are my answers.



Did you prepare meals ahead of time?
No, I am lucky to have a husband who cooks dinner each night. I do pack a good breakfast/lunch each day. Just fruit, cheese, leftovers, hummus and veggies, whatever. I guess I do make a batch of steel-cut oats each week and put them in a Tupperware at work. I heat some up each morning.

Was massage a part of training?
My first one is Sunday. It's a barter type deal. Otherwise it would not be a spending priority.

How much of a life did you have outside of training?
I have a full time job, 2 kids (3 and 5), a husband who is in school and needs me to pick up slack with household chores so he can study. I also do some volunteer work.

How much racing did you mix in that year?
Early-season Half-IronMan.
Mid-season Half-IronMan.
That's it.

How early were you getting up?
5 a.m. every day. This got MUCH easier when it became every day instead of just on swimming days. I used to get up for Masters M-W-F and sleep the other days, and it was SO hard to get up. Getting up every day at the same time is much easier.

How often were you going to the grocery store?
Husband does this, mostly.

Were you able to workout an alternative schedule with work?
No. I get to work at 8:30 a.m. and leave at 5 p.m. I do occasionally run at lunch time with a guy from finance. No one has a stopwatch on me for my work hours. As long as I get my work done and I'm here, it's OK. Once in a great while I will do a long run in the morning and come in just a touch late.

Were you able to get your supervisor at work on board?
Sure, but I don't get much special treatment. I do, however, shower at work A LOT, especially around 8 a.m. before others get here. The shower is a HUGE asset. I also store my bike here on certain days, in my office. I also have a little wooden-peg hatrack type thing that I have hanging on my wall in my office where I dry my workout clothes and towel after my shower.

What is there to look forward to?
I have never felt more strong, powerful or capable in my life. My mental health is amazing. I am confident. I am happy. I feel like I can take on the world. I have to constantly keep reminding myself that it is NOT in my best interest to go to the track and see how quickly I can bust out a mile, or enter a road race (cycling) for the first time ever. It's hard to hold myself back, because I feel so good. I'm thin. I'm muscular. My body looks and feels great. I am eating well. I have FOCUS.

Focus like: screw everything else.
Turn up the rock music.
Let's get to my next workout.

Ferocity.

No comments: