Book Update:

I am currently writing Tri Me: A Working Mom's Road from Last Picked in Gym Class to Iron Distance Triathlon Finisher.
The book proposal is complete, and several chapters are finished!
For some of the thoughts, dialogue and anecdotes that will be included in the book, read my blog below.


Thursday, August 12, 2010

The blog post I hoped I would not have to write. (Crash)


Well darnit, things were going along perfectly well until my peak training phase and guess what? That's when I got cocky and took a turn too hard on the path.

I was heading into a 90 degree turn on the Three Creeks bike path. Going maybe 15mph. Maybe faster.
It was a dumb mistake.
One minute I was going into the corner. The next I could hear the sound of my bike scraping against the asphalt, and the feeling of my upper arm sliding along. My helmet/head never touched the ground.
My knee must have bounced off the pavement or something, because I don't have a ton of abrasion on my knee/leg, but my knee really hurts and I'm limping when I walk.

So it was a real ego check. I have gotten really confident on that path. Too confident.
It had rained over night, and the pavement was wet in spots.
I took the far outside line on the turn. (Another rider took the inside.)
The back wheel just didn't have enough traction. I may have been leaning too far, instead of leaning the bike and keeping my body more upright. Mostly it was a combination of turning and wet pavement and a little gravel at the edge. I was NOT braking and turning at the same time. I know better than that.

The bike is miraculously unscathed. The horrible, horrible scraping sound I heard was just the outside of the pedal. (As far as I have been able to see so far.) Somehow my legs are skinny enough to fit in the space between the pedal and the frame when everything is on the ground. I have only very light abrasions on my calf and thigh. My arm/shoulder has a lot of "road rash," (code for scraped and bloodied) but it's OK.

I jumped right up, but then reality started to set in, as well as adrenaline and all those other chemicals that start flying around your body when you get hurt. I was lucky enough to have an M.D. along on the ride. But I had another 7-8 miles of riding to get back to the one person's house and get cleaned up and bandaged. I think I looked pretty tough, riding along with blood running down my leg, and blood on my arm and shoulder.

I am concerned about how many key, key ironman workouts I may lose during this peak training phase due to my knee. But I'm also feeling lucky it wasn't worse.

Doc says there's fluid on my knee which I can either let dissipate or he can drain it off for me. I know how that procedure is done, and I get weak and lightheaded just thinking about it. However, it might be a good option. I don't want to have to miss my big training day tomorrow and my bike 120-mile ride Sunday.

From my kids:
Nora: "Mom, why didn't you follow the rule about slowing down before you turn?"
Me: "Well, usually I can turn while I'm going that fast. But the bike path was a little wet from the rain."
Michael: "That's too bad, Mom. You should have waited for the rain to dry up first."

(Sigh.)

No comments: