Book Update:

I am currently writing Tri Me: A Working Mom's Road from Last Picked in Gym Class to Iron Distance Triathlon Finisher.
The book proposal is complete, and several chapters are finished!
For some of the thoughts, dialogue and anecdotes that will be included in the book, read my blog below.


Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Well, that's just about enough feeling sorry for myself


OK, well that was a nice few days of moping around.

That's over now.

I need to do more stretching and moving my knee during the day. It's worst when I am just sitting around for a long time. It stiffens up, even with ice on it regularly. I saw Doc at swimming today and he said to suck it up and bend it, even if it's uncomfortable. I didn't damage it from overuse or pulling a tendon/ligament. It was a blow, just like if I hit my arm on something. I'm not helping myself trying to limit mobility.

So here's my plan:

Hourly: Get up, stretch, bend it as far as I can. Do a few SLOW squats. Go up and down the stairs 2-3 times. Then ice.
Every four hours: Ibuprofen and some gentle massage of knee area.

I figured out what I hit my knee on. When the front wheel and handlebars flipped over as I was skidding, my knee connected with the flat metal piece that the elbow pad is mounted on. See the curved elbow pads in the picture? There's a metal piece underneath the padding that anchors them and follows the same contour - that's what I hit, I'm pretty sure. I think I was skidding and my knee was coming up toward my chest right when the front wheel caught the grass and the whole front end flipped. That must have been when my knee connected with the metal. I have a horizontal mark on my knee, with almost no abrasion, so the shiny metal fits the bill for a suspect.

Nancy Kerrigan had the best performance of her life seven weeks after suffering a severe striking blow to the knee from a metal baton.

I can do it in 3.5 weeks.

Watch me.

No comments: