Book Update:

I am currently writing Tri Me: A Working Mom's Road from Last Picked in Gym Class to Iron Distance Triathlon Finisher.
The book proposal is complete, and several chapters are finished!
For some of the thoughts, dialogue and anecdotes that will be included in the book, read my blog below.


Sunday, August 22, 2010



One bike. One rider. 120 miles.


I purposely didn't make a big effort to invite folks to ride with me today. I was worried I would have a repeat of last weekend, when I had to bail after 40 miles.

So at 6:30 a.m., I set out alone, my back jersey pockets stuffed with energy bars, an extra water bottle, my phone, a map, and sports drink mix. I don't think I've done a single long ride alone this year, unless you count the big section of the Rev3 course where I was by myself last month.

It was overcast and cool. Perfect riding weather.

The first 25 miles were a little rough. My pace was fine, but the wind was in my face and my mind was filled with doubt.

Somewhere near Johnstown, I decided I felt fine and I was going to do this whole thing, and do it myself. No cheating. No shortcuts. Two rest stops.

The rest of the ride was pretty unremarkable. I was able to keep my effort consistent. In fact, I picked up the pace the last 30 miles. The roads were wet in places, and it sprinkled a few times, but that was no big deal. I trust my bike again, and I trust myself.

The only problem I had was when I stopped at a stop sign, and didn't have any wind to dry the sweat off my forehead, and the salt started stinging my eyes. But that was really the worst of it. I was still attacking hills at mile 90 and mile 100.
I was singing and smiling at mile 112.

I pulled onto the court and performed my signature flying dismount without any problems. My knee was a NONFACTOR today.

David encouraged me to go back out for a short 15-minute transition run to get the feel of having my legs under me after such a long ride. That went really well, too, although my run pace (as usual) was too fast off the bike and I couldn't bring it down. Oh well.

FYI, the first photo was taken 40 miles into the ride. The beach was totally deserted.
Fast forward a few hours to mile 100. The place was packed!

Best pickup line ever


Alright, in order to relate this story, I have to cover a bike geek vocabulary word.
Sag wagon = [noun] A car or truck that provides mechanical and other support to cyclists during a group ride.
Sag = [verb] To provide support to cyclists on an organized ride

I was riding along alone on S. Old State Road, heading north. This is the busiest traffic section of the ride, and I was staying dutifully on the white line wherever possible. Cars were passing without incident. Then I heard a car coming up really slowly, and it slowed to my pace right beside me, in my lane. I thought maybe I was going to get harassed, but I could see a decal on the car out of the corner of my eye, and thought maybe it was the state park police or something. I didn't want to turn my head to read it, because the car was REALLY close.

Passenger says, "How is your ride going?"

I say, "Great. I'm 42 miles in."

Passenger says, "Great! Would you like a Clif bar?

I glance over and the guy is holding a Clif bar out the window to me.

I grinned and said, "Wow, this is the best thing ever! Yeah, thanks!"
I stuck my hand out and he carefully placed the bar in my hand.

I finally was able to read the car, and it said, "Sunday Morning Sag" and had pictures of bicycles on it.

Me: "Hey, who are you sagging for?"
Guy: "You."
(wink)
[Vroom]
They drove off.

How amazing is that???

I don't know who these guys are, but if I were single, that would have been an awesome pickup line!

Stats


BIKE:
6h 52m 19s 120.02 miles 17.47 Mi/hr

Avg HR: 122
Max HR: 170

RUN:
16m 26s 1.86 miles 08m 50s/Mi

Avg HR: 160
Max HR: 172

No comments: