Book Update:

I am currently writing Tri Me: A Working Mom's Road from Last Picked in Gym Class to Iron Distance Triathlon Finisher.
The book proposal is complete, and several chapters are finished!
For some of the thoughts, dialogue and anecdotes that will be included in the book, read my blog below.


Monday, August 02, 2010

Circumstances you can't control


I have been reading, highlighting, and re-reading a book called "Going Long" about training for an ironman race.
One of the things they talk about for race day is dealing with setbacks. It says you can't control the weather; you can't control whether you get a flat tire; you can't control the people around you. All you can do is assess the situation, come up with possible solutions, choose one, and do it. Then move on.

I tried to keep that in mind today.

Background: I have my next two weeks of training VERY carefully scheduled. Things are getting really busy. Our best friends are getting married in a couple weeks. I have an out-of-town training conference for work. And we have the usual family commitments, in addition to David's college stuff. So I don't really have any wiggle room. If I have a swim scheduled for 6 a.m. and I can't do it at 6 a.m., I am out of luck. Scratching a workout is really not an option at this point, either. Every one is pretty important to my overall success.

So I arrive at the quarry at 5:46 a.m. The guy I had planned to meet does not. (All the regulars were taking the day off after a big race over the weekend.)
Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Nothing.
Walked down to the water.
No one.
Contemplated for one second swimming alone.
Thought about my kids.
Walked back up the hill.
Now the sun is up.
Went back to my truck, changed into my running shoes and did my 30 minute run.
Now it's 6:45 and I'm thinking perhaps some people will show up to swim at 7 a.m. (Sometimes there's a later group.)
Nope.
So I drove 15 minutes to the Y, swam 55 minutes, and still made it to work only a couple minutes late.

I owe myself 5 minutes added onto another swim this week, but I should be able to make that up.

Assess the situation, come up with possible solutions, choose one, and do it. Then move on.

And maybe, just maybe, send an email to the absentee person later.

No comments: